Another example of racism in journalism

Duggerman
Administrator
And this actually happened in Memphis. (sighs)

OK. At the Arlington High School graduation, two white women got into a physical brawl over seats. Stupid, I know. But it looked like one of the Ali-Frazier battles. Check it out for yourself.

https://youtu.be/jLtCP0uzJVM

Now, tell me why the Commercial Appeal posted this picture with the article?

It's a close-up of a black woman in shock, running from the fight. Obviously no black people were in this fight, but the picture focused on a black lady, which naturally makes the readers think it was black people who the story was about.

Not only is this racist and sending out the wrong message, but think about the consequences. This lady could lose her job or anything because the paper is mis-leading people into thinking she was part of the fight, when in reality she was an innocent bystander like many.

I'm not the only person who feels this way. The newspaper was flooded with complaints, and eventually they folded and uploaded a picture of the two actual participants. Here is an article about it.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/opinion/2017/05/25/arlington-high-graduation-photo-sparks-charges-insensitivity/341657001/

Re: Another example of racism in journalism

Jessica
What a bunch of smuk. And I am shocked that the editor guy who picked the photo was black!

Re: Another example of racism in journalism

Evan Fields
Jessica wrote
What a bunch of smuk. And I am shocked that the editor guy who picked the photo was black!
He's likely the fall guy. This way people can say, "Oh, a black man uploaded that picture. It can't be racist!"

Nope. He's there to take the fall.

Re: Another example of racism in journalism

Duggerman
Administrator
Another blatant attempt by the media to make us look like animalistic, out of control thugs. As a black journalist this hits me on two levels.