I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

1234

I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Michelle
I took a journalism class a few years ago and the teacher showed us this movie about a reporter named Stephen Glass who made up his stories. It was hilarious. Where is Stephen Glass now?

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Jessica
I haven't heard anything from him since 2003 when he appeared on 60 Minutes to promote his book.

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Becky
Michelle wrote
 Where is Stephen Glass now?
He was a sociopath and compulsive liar who passed off fiction as journalism. I honestly don't think he was a good writer.

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Michelle
Becky wrote
I honestly don't think he was a good writer.
Why not? His stories were thrilling. He just needs to stick to fiction. He'd make a great novelist or screenplay writer.

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Becky
Jonathan Chait was one of Stephen's colleagues at the New Republic Magazine. This is what he had to say.

He never had much talent for prose. When his stories read well, it usually resulted from heavy rewriting, most notably by Kelly. (Very often he would hand his stories to me minutes before they were due, and, to save him from embarrassment, I would perform a kind of emergency triage on his text, rearranging it into something resembling a coherent structure.) Moreover, his stories were interesting only because they were purportedly true. The characters in his stories, as in his novel, lack any depth or believability. What dooms him most of all as a novelist is the very thing that doomed his journalistic career: He lacks any capacity for grappling with moral questions.
Here is a link to the entire article. It's called "How my friend Stephen Glass got away with it."

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0307.chait.html

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Jessica
Has anyone read his book, The Fabulist? I gave it a thought, but the reviews on Amazon were so bad that I decided not to bother. Is it any good?

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Maximillian
This is why I should never be a journalist. I'm sure sometimes interviews get boring and you want to make your article more exciting. The temptation might have overtook me too. Now I want to read his articles. Are any of them on the web?

GIFSoup

[...]

I read it. Dang. Maybe he wasn't a great writer anyway. You can't rely on editors to make your work look better.

Here is the article that got Stephen busted.

http://www.penenberg.com/popups/hack_heaven.html

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Maximillian
Michelle wrote
Here is the article that got Stephen busted.

http://www.penenberg.com/popups/hack_heaven.html
Wait a minute. Every person in this article was made up? Unbelievable!! That siht is crazy, yo. He made up this entire article from top to bottom? Talk about talent. Dude was in the wrong profession. He should have been a novelist or a screenplay writer. Even if he lacked real writing talent as his colleage said, he had the imagination to write great fiction.

GIFSoup

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Becky

Jessica wrote
Has anyone read his book, The Fabulist? I gave it a thought, but the reviews on Amazon were so bad that I decided not to bother. Is it any good?
Another of Stephen's co-workers reviewed the book here. Her name is Hanna Rosin.

http://www.slate.com/id/2083348/

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Duggerman
Administrator
Hanna is one of my favorite writers. I added her on facebook a while back. She's a tough writer.

Jessica wrote
I personally enjoyed it. He gives some great insight on how he duped his editors and fact checkers. It's an entertaining book. The characters are stereotypical without any real depth, though. Over-protective parents, the malicious girlfriend, an evil editor, etc.

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Becky
This post was updated on .
I read that boring book a long time ago in a library. It had the potential to be good, but he made some bad decisions. Like, why begin the novel when you're getting fired? The novel begins at the end of "Stephen's" journalism career and follows him hiding from the press, getting handjobs in massage parlors, having nervous breakdowns, going to strip clubs, and rediscovering his jewish roots.

Like Hanna said, Stephen changed things around in places. In the book, Robert Underwood (the Chuck Lane inspiration) blatantly hates Steve for no apparent reason. He kept digging and digging until Steve gave him the tearful confession that he desired. In real life, Chuck Lane gave Steve chance after chance to give evidence that Hack Heaven was true. He didn't nessesarily want Stephen to be a fabricator. In The Fabulist, Stephen's editor had a vendetta against Stephen for day one, and for no reason whatsover.

Hanna mentioned that in real life, Stephen rallied his colleagues to get on his side against Chuck Lane. But in his fictionized account, Stephen felt bad for being coy about it and letting his friends rally to his defense. Also, in the book Stephen's journalism buddies turned on him after he was caught. In real life, Stephen shunned them instead.

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Shane
Michelle wrote
Here is the article that got Stephen busted.

http://www.penenberg.com/popups/hack_heaven.html
In hindsight, people should have known that this was a crock of poo. Come on. Why would they let a reporter sit in on an embarrassing event like this? You'd really want a reporter watching you grovel and submit to a child? In real life, they'd probably put that kid in Juvenile hall for his illegal actions. Not hire him.
 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Urban Legend
Stephen walked the line of good and evil so well that you almost find yourself feeling sorry for him. I haven't seen Shattered Glass in a while, but yall made me wanna see it again.
 photo mm_4695106_GIFSoupcom_zpsd4892ddb.gif

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Michelle
I can't help but wonder why he did the things he did. Did he ever answer that question. Why did he make up those lies?

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Maximillian
Becky wrote
The novel begins at the end of "Stephen's" journalism career and follows him hiding from the press, getting handjobs in massage parlors, having nervous breakdowns, and rediscovering his jewish roots.
I've gotta pick up a copy of this book!!!!!!!

GIFSoup

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Duggerman
Administrator
The Greatest wrote
Becky wrote
The novel begins at the end of "Stephen's" journalism career and follows him hiding from the press, getting handjobs in massage parlors, having nervous breakdowns, and rediscovering his jewish roots.
I've gotta pick up a copy of this book!!!!!!!
lol @ "The Greatest." I've got the book, and he walks you through how he fooled his editors and everyone else. In my opinion, it's a decent novel and I hope he writes another one.

I wrote a blog on Shattered Glass on my website a while back. I also posted two interviews with the real Stephen Glass.

http://ajdugger.weebly.com/1/post/2011/05/shattered-glass-and-all-the-presidents-men.html

I'm surprised that Chuck Lane didn't lose his job over this incident(s).
 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Maximillian
Duggerman wrote
I wrote a blog on Shattered Glass on my website a while back. I also posted two interviews with the real Stephen Glass.

http://ajdugger.weebly.com/1/post/2011/05/shattered-glass-and-all-the-presidents-men.html
I had never seen those interviews before. Stephen has such a high sweet voice. He reminds me of the pillsbury doughboy.

GIFSoup

Re: I saw this movie called Shattered Glass

Becky

Michelle wrote
I can't help but wonder why he did the things he did. Did he ever answer that question. Why did he make up those lies?
He said he wanted to feel loved and appreciated by everyone around him.

I too am surprised that Chuck Lane didn't get fired. He said several times that he thought he would. As the main editor, he would be held responsible. But instead he was treated as a hero for firing Stephen. Michael Kelly felt horrible because Stephen got away with so many fabrications during his tenure. If it weren't for Forbes Digital Tool, who knows how much longer Stephen would have gotten away with it.
1234