Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

12345

Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Maximillian
This fight was actually pretty damn competitive until Rocky crushed Joe in the end. You can tell Joe still had a little left in the tank, but not enough to handle a much younger and powerful foe like Rocky. Joe was popping Rocky quite a bit with that jab and racking up points on the scorecards.

GIFSoup

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Duggerman
Administrator
This post was updated on .

It was a great fight while it lasted. Rocky's body punching wore Louis down and softened him up for the knockout shot. Lou Duva said that Rocky didn't wanna hurt Louis, so he played with him during the early rounds.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Shane
Joe was game despite his age. He caught Rocky with some hard shots. Rocky proved his chin in this fight. I would love to see them fight at their respective peaks, but I think Joe Louis would knock Rocky out.
 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Maximillian
^^I agree.

GIFSoup

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Duggerman
Administrator
I think Marciano always had Louis' number. Louis said himself that he hated being crowded and that he wouldn't have licked Marciano even in his prime. Swarmers like Dempsey, Marciano, Frazier and Tyson would smother Louis, not giving him the time or space he needed to counter. I think all four of them would knock him out, especially since Louis was flat footed and relatively easy to maul against the ropes.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Zorro
Duggerman wrote
Rocky would always have a punchers chance against Joe Louis. Louis was put on the canvas by Jim Braddock, Max Schmeling, Buddy Baer, Jersey Joe Walcott and quite a few others. With the exception of Tony Galento, no one else who dropped Joe had power in the league of Rocky. But I think Joe might hurt Rocky first because he would walk right into Joe's firing zone. Joe Louis KO in 5.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Maximillian
Duggerman, I think Joe would straighten out Rocky the way he did Arthuro Gudoy with uppercuts. I think underestimated himself. Crouching at Joe Louis was not the wisest idea. Joe also had fast hands and would tear Rocky to shreds while coming in.

GIFSoup

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Duggerman
Administrator
Rocky came at you in a low crouch from awkward angles. Bobbing and weaving, he was a difficult man to hit on the chin. Even Muhammad Ali said he had trouble landing his swift jab on Marciano during the computer fight, and Marciano was 46 years old at the time!!

I admit that Marciano would walk right into Louis' office by coming to him, but Louis wouldn't be able to hit him cleanly. Marciano would make him miss and land some thunderous counters. More importantly, Marciano wouldn't let Louis keep the fight in the center of the ring. Louis would miss some punches and before he knew it, he'd find himself against the ropes getting slaughtered. (Which actually happened in their fight.)

Arturo Godoy was just crouching at Louis, not countering or throwing anything meaningful. He didn't know how to bob and weave, and was open to eat those uppercuts that put him to sleep.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

49-0
@Duggerman. I agree. With his shuffling feet movement, Joe would have no escape from Rocky's big blows.

I noticed that Joe picked up some weight when he came out of retirement in 1950.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Shane
That added bulk in his legs and arms slowed him down against Ezzard Charles, but to be honest, his age was catching up to him regardless. He was still quite good, but Marciano was approaching his prime years, applied too much pressure and had too much iron in his fists for the old Joe Louis.

If Rocky had dropped a prime Louis, he would have gotten up to return the favor as he always did. But I can't see Rocky beating Joe in his prime. Joe just had too much in his arsenal, but the fight they actually had was a decent one until the knockout.
 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Duggerman
Administrator
Louis said...

"Marciano was tough enough to beat anyone."

"He doesn't fight by the book, but he hit me with a whole library of bone-crushers."

"This kid punches harder than Schmeling."

"I can still feel the body punches he hit me with."

"I had a bad weakness. I hated to be crowded. That was Marciano's thing."

Stylewise, Louis loses to brawlers who pressure him. Even a motivated David Tua would likely stop Joe Louis early.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Urban Legend
I don't think Joe Louis loses to David Tua.

To get back on topic, it says a lot that young Rocky struggled like hell against old Joe for at least 5 rounds. Joe was jabbing the stuffing out of the rock. Prime versus Prime? Joe Louis would knock out Rocky in his sleep.
 photo mm_4695106_GIFSoupcom_zpsd4892ddb.gif

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Shane
Rocky would beat Joe if he stayed on the inside, but to get there, he'd be crouching right into Joe's range. Not a good look. Joe was actually doing a good job of keeping Rocky a good foot and half away by popping him with that jab for the first few rounds. It's sad because you see numerous times that Joe tried to let loose with those vicious combinations but his speed was gone. It's sad to watch, really. Prime Louis would have stopped Rocky.

Consider this, also. Rocky was not in his prime when he fought Louis. Rocky had not yet perfected his crouch yet. His defense was not as good as it would be later, and he wasn't throwing real combinations yet either. He threw a high volume of punches, sure, but his technique was still a work in progress. By the time Rocky knocked out Matthews, he was prime time for sure.

 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Duggerman
Administrator
Redemption wrote
Rocky would beat Joe if he stayed on the inside, but to get there, he'd be crouching right into Joe's range. Not a good look. Joe was actually doing a good job of keeping Rocky a good foot and half away by popping him with that jab for the first few rounds. It's sad because you see numerous times that Joe tried to let loose with those vicious combinations but his speed was gone. It's sad to watch, really. Prime Louis would have stopped Rocky.
Rocky certainly had trouble with Louis' jab in a few rounds. From rounds 2-5, Louis looked really comfortable in there. By launching that jab, he wouldn't let Marciano get close. When Marciano did sneak through, Louis unloaded uppercuts or other combinations but he wasn't the fighter he once was. Louis was fighting well and probably would have knocked out most other contenders of the period that night, but Marciano's body attack and constant pressure won the fight for him. I think the same thing would have happened in their primes. Marciano stayed on Louis and never gave him time or room to breathe. Remember also that Marciano didn't want to hurt Louis and didn't fight full force during those early rounds either. By the 8th round, Louis was softened up by Marciano's body attacks and ready to be taken.

Charlie Goldman (Rocky's trainer) said that prime Joe Louis would have gotten knocked out much sooner.

Rocky could have finished Joe Louis in the first round if he chose to.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Zorro
49-0 wrote
Rocky could have finished Joe Louis in the first round if he chose to.
I doubt that. He was throwing some real leather the whole fight but Joe's age caught up with him in the 7th round. That, and Rocky's punches took their toll on the old man. Prime Joe Louis murders Rocky.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Evolution
Lou Duva tells everybody that Rocky threw the first couple of rounds against Joe Louis. He told me that story several times. He's really biased when it comes to Rocky Marciano because he knew him personally. Lou Duva can be really punchy but he's a nice man overall.

Prime Joe Louis would knock out Rocky Marciano. I've got no doubt. The lighter, 23 year-old Joe Louis would not be slow and bulky and easy to push around like the 37 year-old Joe Louis that Rocky manhandled. Joe Louis in his prime was like Lennox Lewis or Muhammad Ali in the sense that he could overcome any style and adapt.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Rosco
Rocky would always have puncher's chance against Joe but The Brown Bomber would land the big guns first. He'd turn Rocky into another "bum of the month" contender. It's a shame he didn't have those skills anymore by the time they fought.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Zorro
Seeing Rocky lose three of the first five rounds to old Joe Louis says a lot. He had problems with Joe's jab. No disrespect to Rocky or his blockbuster punch but I think father time is what really retired the brown bomber.

Re: Joe Louis Versus Rocky Marciano

Malik Wright
Twas a very good fight considering Joe was an old man. Papa Joe still had some pop.
Malik El Debarge Wright
12345