Oleksandr Usyk

Will69
Just saw Usyk's fight against Huck.  This guy from Ukraine has serious potential.  He clearly outboxed Huck, who is like the Larry Holmes of the cruiser weight division.  Huck almost broke the world record for longest reign of a cruiser-weight belt.  Also, Usyk's previous fight against Glowacki was quite impressive.  Glowacki is one tough, relentless pressure fighter.  Reminds me of Fraizer actually.  Glowacki went undefeated for 26 fights before he met Usyk.

What gets me interested in Usyk is he's got a lot of unique tools.  At 6'3", He's unusually tall for a cruiser weight.  His reach was an obvious advantage to fighting both Huck and Glowacki.  He has extremly quick hands, even for a cruiser weight, but his foot work is amazingly fast.  His style sometimes resembles Ali.  (check out his fight with Glowacki - some of his moves are very similar).  Usyk's stamina is absolutely up there.  His constant jabbing and ability to find openings is awesome.   Now here's the funny thing.  Usyk has only had 13 professional fights!  And he's beating the top cruiser weights already!  (It seems like a lot of great fighters have been coming from Eastern Europe since the late 90s.)  Anyway, watch out for this guy.

Re: Oleksandr Usyk

Vnexpress
Boxing is seeing the rise of guys with extensive amateur experience. Lately from the East we have seen

Wladamir Klitsko Olympic Gold Medalist (134-6)
Oleksandr Usyk Olympic Gold medalist (335-15)
Vitali Klitsko (195-15) (missed the olympics which his brother won)
Gennady Golovkin Olympic Silver Medalist (354-5)
Vasyl Lomachenko 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist (396-1(avenged twice))

These guys had fought consistently at the highest level of amateur boxing. With a strong base of extensive experience against opponents that they have little time to study and prepare for, they have become highly adaptable and technically refined. While some may have power and others may have speed, the one thing they all excel at is ring control. This sort of background had prepared them to become very dominant champions. I have no doubt that Usyk future reign will be comparable to Spink's or Holyfield's, maybe even surpass them.

Re: Oleksandr Usyk

Will69
That makes sense.  A lot of these guys are a bit older than other new comers, so they must carry more experience.  Interestingly, it seems like the prime age for a boxer has moved from mid 20s to around 30, on average.