Prince

123

Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
Any fans of the Purple One?

Re: Prince

Shane
I think the Batman soundtrack was his best album. The funny thing is that it sounded like he wasn't really trying!! lol. But damn that's some great music.
 photo lori_zps4066d257.gif

Re: Prince

GatorPurify
That is a slamming album. BBC had a audio special on him months back and they said he completed the "Batman Soundtrack" in one week. Definitely a genius.

Re: Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
One week? Whoa. That's one of the best and overlooked albums of the 80s.

I felt bad for Prince when I found out that the movie producers originally asked Michael Jackson to record the soundtrack, but he was busy on the BAD tour and filming Moonwalker. He was super talented but always second fiddle to M.J.

Re: Prince

GatorPurify
Duggerman wrote
One week? Whoa. That's one of the best and overlooked albums of the 80s.

I felt bad for Prince when I found out that the movie producers originally asked Michael Jackson to record the soundtrack, but he was busy on the BAD tour and filming Moonwalker. He was super talented but always second fiddle to M.J.
Yeah only one week. On the special they said Warner Brothers initially wanted Prince do one song for the soundtrack. They liked the results so much they asked him to do the whole soundtrack and he completed it in one week. Prince is just fast in the studio like that.

Re: Prince

Zombies Ate Me
Isn't he a jehovah's witness now? I'm surprised they let him in. lol.

Re: Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
One of my favorite Prince jams. The Emancipation album is full of gems like this one. If you don't get up and dance to this, you have no soul at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qZv0Nqs0I&feature=related

Re: Prince

Zorro
Prince always seemed like a copycat of Michael Jackson to me, only with a guitar.

Re: Prince

~Sasha
Duggerman wrote
One of my favorite Prince jams. The Emancipation album is full of gems like this one. If you don't get up and dance to this, you have no soul at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qZv0Nqs0I&feature=related
This is when Prince went back to making black folks music. It paid off well.

Re: Prince

Big Red
This post was updated on .
Prince is the best ever. The ultimate performer and musician in my book. This might sound harsh, but when Michael Jackson died, my first thought was "Oh well. I've still got Prince!"

He could really shoot some ball. Dave Chappelle and Charlie Murphy were not exaggerating.

Re: Prince

Big Red
Zorro wrote
Prince always seemed like a copycat of Michael Jackson to me, only with a guitar.
...............what?  Tell me one way that Prince copied Michael Jackson. Just one.

Re: Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
They were both androgynous, curly-haired performers that dominated the 80s and hit high notes on the regular, but that's where the comparison ends. They were both great at what they did, though. But there's no comparison.

Re: Prince

GatorPurify
Duggerman wrote
They were both androgynous, curly-haired performers that dominated the 80s and hit high notes on the regular, but that's where the comparison ends. They were both great at what they did, though. But there's no comparison.
And they were both influenced by James Brown

Re: Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
GatorPurify wrote
And they were both influenced by James Brown
I had forgot about that. Prince was James Brown with a Bob Dylan complex, while Michael was James Brown with a Stevie Wonder complex.

Re: Prince

Zorro
Mr. Goodnite wrote
Zorro wrote
Prince always seemed like a copycat of Michael Jackson to me, only with a guitar.
...............what?  Tell me one way that Prince copied Michael Jackson. Just one.
Prince grew up listening to the Jackson 5 just as I did. I have no doubt that he and Madonna were influenced by Michael Jackson. When Prince came out on the scene it was obvious that his singing was a pale imitation of Michael Jackson. Not only that but there was the flashy clothes and androgynous exterior as A.J. mentioned.

Re: Prince

Duggerman
Administrator
Zorro wrote
Prince grew up listening to the Jackson 5 just as I did. I have no doubt that he and Madonna were influenced by Michael Jackson. When Prince came out on the scene it was obvious that his singing was a pale imitation of Michael Jackson. Not only that but there was the flashy clothes and androgynous exterior as A.J. mentioned.
I politely disagree, Mark. Prince didn't arrive on the music scene until 1978 with his first album, For You. He said that he doesn't like male vocalists, which is why he sings in his high register. His first two albums were written with Patrice Rushen's sound and style in mind. In fact, some of those tracks were demos for her. Prince's early sound was a light R&B pop sound very much like Patrice Rushen's.

Prince was primarily a falsetto until the 1999 album. In fact, people had rarely heard him speak before the Purple Rain film, so many assumed he spoke in a falsetto whisper like Michael Jackson did.

Speaking of Michael, he didn't start to explore falsetto until the Off The Wall album, which was released a year after Prince's debut.

Granted, their falsettos do sound similar at times, so I understand why you would think one copied the other. Prince imitated Patrice Rushen's airy delivery and later added a raspy James Brown scream to his arsenal.

Here is one of my favorite tracks from Prince's debut album. This is the best falsetto in the business, imo. He was singing like this before Michael Jackson was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-IOvkRjFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-IOvkRjFc
Prince does sound like Michael Jackson there. You make sense. I guess since Michael was out first I thought Prince copied his voice.

Re: Prince

~Sasha
Duggerman wrote
That is a great way of putting it. I think Prince was more inspired by JB than MJ was. MJ had a few pop songs with a James Brown feel like "Bad" and "I can't let her get away." But Prince captured the raw essence of the James Brown sound in a lot of his songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-IOvkRjFc
Crazy You is a bad track. I liked Prince's "For You" album. But it was and still is underrated. People hardly talk about it. It's almost like it never existed. The album was slamming to me. And it's still amazing that a 17-18 year old kid was doing everything in the studio practically himself.

Re: Prince

Big Red
GatorPurify wrote
Crazy You is a bad track. I liked Prince's "For You" album. But it was and still is underrated. People hardly talk about it. It's almost like it never existed. The album was slamming to me. And it's still amazing that a 17-18 year old kid was doing everything in the studio practically himself.
He was still finding himself. The whole album was inspired by Patrice Rushen and one song was a Stevie Wonder jam session (Just As Long As We're Together.) It was not a bad album by any means but it didn't hint at his future accomplishments. That lovely acapella falsetto album intro is heavily, isn't it? It's  one of my ring tones.
123