Question about George Foreman

Left Hook From Hell...
In his physical prime he was an arm puncher. there was a quote I read here in one old thread where he said his power came from the wrist area.

My question is if he planted himself right and punched with the correct leverage and snap, could he have hit harder and killed men?

Re: Question about George Foreman

Entaowed
I think it is a common overstatement to consider prime Foreman an arm puncher.
Fighters gather leverage & power from varying degrees of attributes, sycg as speed, technique, physical strength, large heavy hands...

Foreman did not crouch & spring like many, or seem to throw his whole body forward.
But nobody on earth could possibly be amongst the hardest hitters ever if they were only arm punchers.
His technique worked for him, though perhaps he could have hit a little harder with more body English, he was torquing his hips & benefitting from the kinetic chain-even if he looped his punches too.

Whether someone kills another-or even if it is a knock down or knock out-is correlated with many factors.
Amongst them might be glove weight, but definitely bad luck re; the precise way someone was hit, & their vulnerability due to genetic or unseen damage or health factors.  It is a rare event.

The hardest punches, even well placed, may not have the same effect as other lesser shots for many reasons.

Re: Question about George Foreman

GatorPurify
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
In his physical prime he was an arm puncher. there was a quote I read here in one old thread where he said his power came from the wrist area.

My question is if he planted himself right and punched with the correct leverage and snap, could he have hit harder and killed men?
I think the average person George could of killed on the street. The man hits like a mule kick. That's why boxers cannot fight average people. They hands are classified as registered weapons. But with structure and  a referee, I doubt he would of killed a man in the ring, at that time. And by the time George came people were more knowledgeable about health. By George's time boxers were required to go for a physical exam after the fight (win or lose). The gloves were well padded and things of that natural.

Re: Question about George Foreman

Duggerman
Administrator
George shortened up his punches during his second career. For example the punch that KO'd Michael Moorer was a loose right hook, preceded by a jab. '70s Foreman would have been throwing loud haymakers, which are easy to counter but absolutely brutal when they land.

GIFSoup

Re: Question about George Foreman

Vnexpress
This post was updated on .
There is no way for us to know for sure, but perhaps George never had the speed to throw snappy punches; I have always thought his punches were more like pushing punches, more like a battering ram than a tight bat swing. That would explain how little distance he needed to throw those slow punches with devastating force, like that short right hand against Moorer. With that short distance, it would take ATG power just do damage, let alone knock him straight out. Maybe old Foreman realized that his power could more than compensate for his lack of speed, and threw them shorter than before to keep himself more covered. Those wild haymakers would have been Holyfield's wet dream.

Re: Question about George Foreman

Duggerman
Administrator
Vnexpress wrote
There is no way for us to know for sure, but perhaps George never had the speed to throw snappy punches; I have always thought his punches were more like pushing punches, more like a battering ram than a tight bat swing. That would explain how little distance he needed to throw those slow punches with devastating force, like that short right hand against Moorer. With that short distance, it would take ATG power just do damage, let alone knock him straight out. Maybe Foreman realized that his power could more than compensate for his lack of speed, and threw them shorter to keep himself more covered. Those wild haymakers would have been Holyfield's wet dream.
Agreed. Holyfield would love tagging a prime George with counters from those wild haymakers. If he gets too courageous he would lose, though.

Evolution sparred with George and said something similar;  that George punched with a lot of force. It was the force and strength of the blows that forced you backwards or off your feet. He wasn’t an "explosive" puncher. He was a strong mauler.

Re: Question about George Foreman

Will69
One thing I do know is that you can't always tell who is a powerful puncher just by looking at him.  Tua and Tyson look like powerful punchers. Other guys are not cut at all but can punch really well, like Povetkin and certainly Rocky.
Luc

Re: Question about George Foreman

Luc
I reckon Foreman is just ridiculously heavy handed, so even innocuous quickly thrown shots land with a horrible pounding. Kovalev in today's 175 division is similar. They don't seem to put much steam in their shots but it's all impact.

Tyson has the ability to punch from his ankles all the way to the tips of his fingers. Every ounce of him goes into every shot. This is more due to his agility and muscle structure. It's all kinetic energy.

Klitcko is a combination of sheer size and technical correctness/timing.

People like Tua and at a smaller weight, Golovkin, always seem to have their feet planted into the earth so the fist is underwritten by their whole bodyweight with each shot.

Lots of different flavours of power!