Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

MAGUIRE
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

49-0
They were both leeches who stole from Mike and helped ruin him. Who cares what they have to say?

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Maximillian
49-0 wrote
They were both leeches who stole from Mike and helped ruin him. Who cares what they have to say?
According to legend they're leeches who stole from Mike. But there's two sides to every story and I'm curious to hear their take on it. I don't think it's as black and white as "they're bad men who ripped off Mike Tyson." There's got to be more to it than that.

GIFSoup

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Evolution
No matter what they say here (I haven't listened to the interviews yet) they were absolutely a part of Mike submitting to his demons.

I knew Mike when he was working with Cus before he turned pro. You could even call us friendly, though he was never the world's nicest guy. I never ran into him personally during his first title reign in the '80s but when I bumped into him again in '97 he was an asshole. Guess who was at his side encouraging it? Horne and Holloway.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Duggerman
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yeah. It's interesting to hear their perspective. Question: Do you think they weren't qualified to be Mike's managers? The first interviewer had a good point; you don't need a college degree to be a boxing manager. But at the same time, I don't know the full story about these guys. Should they get all the blame for Tyson's bad decisions during those years? Everyone in Tyson's circle at the time were leeches.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

It's Dale
Duggerman wrote
No they weren't qualified but it's irrevelant. Mike screwed things up for himself. Management doesn't always matter. Case in point,  Marciano's manager Al Weil robbed him blind but Rocky still retired undefeated and fired him when the timing was right.

Administrator
Good points, Dale. Rory was a childhood friend of Mike who got a job as his manager. I don't think anyone in his entourage after Jim Jacobs died cared for Mike, with the exception of a few trainers like Tommy Brooks and of course Jay Bright, who had been around since the Cus D'Amato days.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Duggerman
Administrator
I just listened to these again. Don King used his experience and manipulations to rob Mike blind. Rory and Horne were too inexperienced to see what was going on. But still; it's nice to hear a different perspective.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Zorro
I heard the pain in Rory's voice when he said Mike doesn't talk to him anymore. They were childhood friends, which would make you think he had a bigger place in Mike's heart than the other leeches.

I listened to both interviews and I think they're telling the truth; they were just as manipulated by King as Tyson was. But has anyone else noticed that Tyson has dropped almost EVERYONE from his boxing past? Rooney, Atlas, everyone. They all say they haven't heard a peep from him.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Sting Like A Bean
Tyson always struck me as a Jeckyll and Hyde personality, with the Jeckyll being as real as the Hyde.  He seems to me to have a genuinely sweet side, even if it's not often easy to see. I wonder of you share this perception to any extent based upon your firsthand experience.

Re: Recent Interviews with John Horne and Rory Holloway (Former Mike Tyson Managers)

Duggerman
Administrator
Zorro wrote
I heard the pain in Rory's voice when he said Mike doesn't talk to him anymore. They were childhood friends, which would make you think he had a bigger place in Mike's heart than the other leeches.

I listened to both interviews and I think they're telling the truth; they were just as manipulated by King as Tyson was. But has anyone else noticed that Tyson has dropped almost EVERYONE from his boxing past? Rooney, Atlas, everyone. They all say they haven't heard a peep from him.
Yeah. Mike turned his back on boxing and virtually everyone related to it. Boxing is just something he did at one point in his life and he’s moved on to happier times. It’s just like my experience with journalism.