The People's Elbow

Zombies Ate Me

I thought this iconic move deserved a thread of it's own. When was the first time he did it? How'd he come up with it? What's your favorite People's Elbow moment?

Re: The People's Elbow

Duggerman
Administrator
Nice photoshop there with Manny Pacquiao. lol. Triple H said that the People's Elbow started off as a goof. He said that some of the guys like Owen and Rock would try to make Undertaker break character and laugh during house shows. But The Rock kept doing the move until it caught on and became his signature. But it wasn't initially a move to be taken seriously at all. I'll post the interview where Triple H said this later.

My favorite People's Elbow was the one on the British Bulldog when the Rock slid into the move like James Brown. I also like the Double People's Elbow he dropped on Mankind and Ken Shamrock. The crowd went wild.

Re: The People's Elbow

Sivul
Genius of him to put the Rock Bottom and the People's Elbow together.

Re: The People's Elbow

Duggerman
Administrator
Sivul wrote
Genius of him to put the Rock Bottom and the People's Elbow together.
Yeah. At first it was just a theatrical thing. It took a long time to catch on. He started doing it on TV in August 1997 just after joining the NOD, but it didn't start getting a reaction until about a year later at Summerslam '98 when he dropped it on HHH on a ladder.

Here's the quote from HHH about the origins of the People's Elbow.

It's funny how some of the things that were so successful started. The People's Elbow was something that Rock started doing because we were trying to make Taker laugh at live events. We were all trying to come up with the goofiest stuff we could to make him break character. I think it was Foley at TV one night who dared him to do it live. And we were all on it. 'We double dog dare you to do it.' Rock said, 'I'll do it.' And the place erupted
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0304/590035/triple-h-talks-the-people-elbow-starting-off-as-a-rib/

Re: The People's Elbow

Shogun of Harlem
I liked the early People's Elbow the best, especially in the NOD. Around 2000 he started doing everything at hyper speed. He used to be smooth with that elbow drop in the nineties.

Here's a good example. Poor Ken Shamrock.

Re: The People's Elbow

Duggerman
Administrator
Only The Rock can take the most basic move in wrestling and turn it into the most electrifying move in sports entertainment. Man, I've been to many WWE shows and the place instantly erupts when he hits the spinebuster and winds up for The People's Elbow.

But as ridiculous as The Worm, the People's Elbow and Hogan's Leg Drop are as finishing moves, at least they are moves. The spinarooni does nothing but give Booker T's opponents time to lay there and recover.

Re: The People's Elbow

Zombies Ate Me
Sivul wrote
Genius of him to put the Rock Bottom and the People's Elbow together.
That was the only way to make it seem even remotely effective; as it's really the Rock Bottom that does all the work.

The People's Elbow used to be a mid-match showboating move but putting it after the Rock Bottom was a smart (and more realistic) way for it to become a finisher. You also never knew what he'd do after the Rock Bottom...he might get the pinfall right then and there, or he'd wind up for the People's Elbow.

Re: The People's Elbow

BAD INTENTIONS

Re: The People's Elbow

Duggerman
Administrator
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
That's my favorite version of the People's Elbow. The leg shimmy was in slow motion, and he used to smoothly set up the move with a scoop slam. In the Corporation he sped up the elbow drop, and it more or less became the People's Elbow that he uses today. I miss the dramatic theatrics he used in the NOD.